Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Blog # 4 "Sex Education In Today's Schools"


As the mother of two daughters I feel sex education should be taught in the schools, especially in today's world.  I also feel it should be taught in several different steps, depending on the child’s age.  The parents should also play an important role and be notified in plenty of time to prepare their child or to decide to opt out of the discussion if they do not want it taught.   

My oldest daughter is going to be 10 years old and has already started asking questions.  I feel this has to do with the media, peers, having older cousins, and the physical changes in her body.  I have gradually started talking about the difference between boys and girls and how babies come out of mommies’ bellies and about puberty.  I even gave my daughter a book for her to read, but not parents are the same.  So I don’t want mixed messages being sent to my daughters by her peers, everyone should be on the same page and kids should feel comfortable talking about sex education.  If a parent stays involved in their child’s life they can preach their own beliefs at home or at church. 
 
I feel abstinence should be taught at the early stage (5th-7th grade) gradually given the students more information about what is sex, how babies are made, but preach abstinence.  In the next stage (8th grade) start talking about abstinence- plus.   But focus on unplanned pregnancies, STD s, and that saying no is OK!  The emotional piece is a huge part at this age and the teachers/counselors should spend lots time on helping teenagers make responsible decisions about sex.  I also feel that the sex education talks should continue into the high school (9th-12th) to help re-enforce the previous years and add more information about safe sex and homosexuality.  

There is a great article called “Sex Education in America” from the website http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1622610.  It is about the debate over sex education in the schools and its findings from the polls in 2004 by NPR, the Kaiser Family Foundation, and Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government.  I was not surprised to see only 7% of Americans do not feel that sex education shouldn’t be a part of our children's education.

4 comments:

  1. Beth, very well written blog. I took a look at the article you added and it was interesting. I didn't think about the controversial issues that arise in sex education. Homosexuality and teens obtaining oral contraceptives without a parent's permission. I am personally not a parent so I don't know how I feel about the contraceptives issue. What do you think? I do, however, think that homosexuality should be included in the sex education at a high school level. They should merely define what homosexuality is and what it entails but should steer clear of whether or not it is right or wrong. I think that should be left up to the parents and churches to teach.
    -Sarah Petersen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that sex education should be taught in the younger grades through high school. Schools can teach the facts. Parents can lend any opinions they feel necessary. But at least let every student have an equal opportunity to know the truths.

    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Beth,
    I really liked how you agreed that sex education should be taught in public schools. I found it very interesting that you incorporated that sex education should be taught throughout a child’s growth starting at fifth grade and continuing through high school. There are many changes that children go through by the time they are fifth graders to when they graduate high school and children do need to learn about these changes. Sex education is never easy to discuss with children but it’s always nice to know that sex education is being addressed and that children and teens have an outlet to turn to if they have any questions and concerns.

    -Brittany LeBron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth,
    I agree that sex education is a process that starts when kids are young and evolves as a natural part of development. Open and honest conversation is always the key, even when subjects are difficult to discuss. I think that other trusted adults and religious influences/ places of worship could do a better job equipping kids with making moral choices, factoring in relational issues about sex, not just facts.
    Thank you,
    Amy Hicks

    ReplyDelete