I am home in Pennsylvania for my 94 year old Grandmothers funeral. I have a very large extended family and just about everyone came to say goodbye to my sweet Grandma which everyone adored. The health issue that I am most concerned about is how to live a long healthy life like my Grandma, so that someday I may enjoy my children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and possibly great-great-grandchildren. I am a healthy 37 year old, for the most part, but I need to start taking better care of myself: eating healthy and exercising to help fight off any health issues in the future which I can control (high blood pressure, heart disease, high cholesterol). There are some cancers in my family history and I am hoping to learn some preventative care which would reduce my chances of getting this disease. I have many women in my extended family all of different ages that I could have asked about their concerns. I chose my niece who is 15 and my Aunt who is 65. They have different concerns due to their generation.
My niece’s concern is the peer pressure from friends, boyfriends and media about sex and alcohol and the effects it could have on her entire life. She understands the dangers associated with each of these but feels the pressure to take part to be “cool” and to be part of the popular groups because all the kids are doing it!
My Aunt’s concerns are what are in store for her future! She is retired and just had a hip replacement and has other health issues that are slowing her down. She is currently living with her daughter and knows that she is not going to be able to take care of her forever and knows the stress of the “sandwich generation”, and its effects and tolls on her own body. And she doesn’t want that for her own daughter.
I think the concerns are different due the generation and what each has going on in their lives of that time. Everyone has a variety of women’s health concerns but what concerns you the most is what is affecting you and your loved ones at that moment!
No comments:
Post a Comment