The question, “If everyone lived “with our future in mind,” do you think that we would live different?” is a tricky one. I feel that the answer may be different in each age group, ethnic group, and social class. But as a white, middle class adult I would say “no”. I feel many Americans, like myself, are already focused on the future, maybe too much!
Many of us are always striving for that American dream and trying to make our lives better. So I do not think our habits or behaviors would change, unless something drastic happens to our health. Most Americans adults already know what are healthy habits and behaviors, but they are too busy chasing the dream to make a change. If Americans could just slow down and enjoy what we have now, and not worry about the future, then maybe we could focus on what is important like our health, mental and physical.
As a teenager and young adult I wish I would have had the ability to focus on the reality of the future instead of the dream of “happily ever after”. I think if many adults could go back with the knowledge and experience from life, they would go back and change how they lived. I know I would! But without that, many young Americans are thinking about the social aspect of the future instead of their health. They believe they are invincible and it won’t happen to them! So without the knowledge and experiences gained from life, I don’t think young Americans would change their habits or behaviors either!
Beth,
ReplyDeleteyour post is very interesting. I think you're right. People tend to be stubborn and have that idea that they have some kind of invisible shield around them that will protect them from disease and injury. Just like texting while driving, for example. People think, "It won't happen to me," and before they know it, get in a car accident. It doesn't become real until it happens. People need wake up calls on taking care of themselves mentally, physically and emotionally. Education is the only way.
-Sarah Petersen
Hi Beth,
ReplyDeleteI actually somewhat disagree with you. I think a lot of us are very focused on our career in life but it doesnt mean the choices we make are reflections of our thoughts on the future. Most of us find that thinking about the future can sometimes lead to hard choices, ones we dont want to make. Therefore, we dont think about it and we focus on the now and what is happening in the present. I think most of us would make different career choices and different health choices about what we eat and how much we exercise. If we always kept our future in mind, I think people would live differently. I wrote more about it in my blog as well!
Sara Abbasi
Hi Beth,
ReplyDeleteI also believe you are right about this issue. I believe that most people, when they are young, are focused on gaining success and happiness now and thinking about health in the future is just too far away. When I was in my 20's and 30's, I thought about my health, but in the present, not as a factor in my future enjoyment of life. For most of us, choosing a particular lifestyle in order to be a healthy older adult is focused too far into the future.
Beth,
ReplyDeleteI agree with your answer to this question and that it's a tricky one. I like your explanation and point of view! Often times I have said "if I knew then what I know now...", I definitely could see myself doing a few things differently. But, that's how we learn- live and learn, right? I don't think people would live differently if they had their future in mind. I don't know anyone who hasn't had their future in mind that I am close with. It just seems that the priority of the future seems to flash in neon lights as adults age into retirement, prior that, just like you said, "we are chasing the dream"! Or, we are just to caught up in the stress of present day to worry about the unknown and unpredictable. Great post!~ heather noe
I kind of disagree with you on people being too focused on the future. Maybe if some of the teenagers were even thinking about there future, some wouldnt engage in negative activities that have consequences. Focusing on the future is very important. Considering consequences and how a certain decision will affect your life is very important. And to Heather yes I agree that we live and learn and mistakes and what we learn from them makes us who we are. But in my opinion I think that having a hold on your future can assist in making better choices in the present time. Thank you and I enjoyed your post!
ReplyDelete