The supplemental video "Helping to End Sex Slavery", from the following location; http://www.ted.com/talks/sunitha_krishnan_tedindia.html really hit home. In November 2009, Sunitha Krihman talked about sex slaves in India and around the world. She talked about what she is doing to help the victims and how she is saving them. She is not only giving them the medical and psychological treatment they need, but providing education to them. Teaching the victims of sex slaves a skill such as carpentry, welding and other trades allow the victims to help rebuild their own lives. Giving them a life they have a right to as a human being and a life they deserve. These trades are not only giving them a job, but are also therapeutic for the victims. As an occupational therapist I can understand how this works! Sunitha Krishman is a savior!
Watching that video made me sick, and even more so when she talked about children as young as three as being victims. The idea of anyone abusing an innocent child for his own pleasure, what kind of person does that? This subject has really opened my eyes about our cruel world! How can people be so inhumane and cruel especially to children? It is not right and needs to be stopped. I knew other countries were less fortunate then us, but never in a million years would I believe of people using children for sex slaves. How can the government not see it or allow this to happen? Why is our country not trying to help? What can we do to help stop these monsters from taking innocent lives from children?
In this video, Sunitha Krishnan told us how to help. We can help by spreading the word to our friends and family! Just by being a voice for the victims and making people aware of what is happening to children around the world. Then maybe somebody will hear us and starting saving our children. I plan on posting this video on my Facebook, to help speak for the victims! Please help spread the word and paste this video to your social network or just tell several people and have them do the same. Maybe then someone will start listening!
I remember watching my first video on sex slavery and I can honestly tell you I literally was sick to my stomach! It is just absolutely disgusting that men (and women!) can be so heartless and can use even children to get pleasure! Who in the world do they think they are? These people need to know there is punishment for such crimes and countries that have high rates of sex slavery need to push for stricter laws! Thanks for the great post, I think posting the video will be a good way to open peoples eyes to the magnitude of this situation. I found it shocking to see just how bad the sex slavery industry was.
ReplyDeleteSara Abbasi
Beth,
ReplyDeleteI am planning on writing a paper about sex slaves in India in one of my other classes so your link will be very helpful! Thanks :) You are right, it is so unfortunate that young women and children are victimized by this type of brutality. I can only imagine how alone and scared I would feel if I were in that situation. I think it is our duty to help these women by possibly donating money to organizations that go to India and help raise awareness and education about sex slavery. Hopefully they can be taught skills so they will not have to be sold as sex slaves and look at this as the only thing they are good for. It is so disheartening. If everyone does a little than together we can all do a lot and it really is the right thing to do.
-Sarah Petersen
Beth-
ReplyDeleteI also watched that video and was very impressed by Sunitha and her work. She is helping those women in such a profound way to teach them a hands-on skill, to educate them, empower them, etc. It will help them grow as women and maybe someday able to help others.
Great post! I hope your outreach through social networks is beneficial!
-Courtney
I don't even think they have a government let alone one that is as good as the United States. Their government probably looks the other direction and doesn't care about people or children that are sex slaves. So I agree with you on how ugly and horrible that the people who are using the children as slaves are. It just is not right to see them being abused and even dying from diseases.
ReplyDelete